Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Familiar Face

Craig and I were spectators at the local Eddie McMurdo show this year. We went to watch the open classes and see how the judge was placing the entries. After some of the classes, I was walking down the isles of the barns when I noticed a light breed bay and white pinto next to a mini at the end of a row. I exclaimed rather loudly and with some excitement "there's Spot!" It was Ernie Schrader's gelding Captain Calypso, otherwise fondly known as Spot. I didn't see Ernie around anywhere, but I gave Spot a scratch as I passed his stall. I've seen the flashy gelding many times at the northwest endurance rides.

There was a picture decorating the door of Spot (with Ernie in the saddle), climbing cougar rock at the Tevis a few years back. Both of them are active endurance competitors, and it was nice to see Spot attending the horse show. From the looks of the ribbons hanging on the door, he had done pretty well. I thought that it was a great example of an endurance horse branching out into other activities. Very inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment