Sunday, January 15, 2012

Spring Is Almost Here!

We have our first set of lambies for the year! A little ewe lamb and a little ram lamb. Our older barbados ewe produced her third set of twins for us. I was a bit surprised to see that she lambed out this early in the year, but it also makes me very happy. These are the first little lambs from our big soay ram Titan. He was unproven when we purchased him from the valley, so I'm thrilled to see that he will do his job well as a flock sire. We have a few more crossbred lambs due in a few weeks, and one purebred soay that was bred to him as well.
Aren't they cute? I put these little guys in our old stock trailer to keep them warm during the night. It never ceases to amaze me how resilient baby lambs can be. The cold doesn't affect them too much if they have just a little bit of hay to cover the floor and sleep on. I wished that my baby chicks were this easy to raise!



They are curious about everything and will nibble on anything that's available. Hands, buckets, hay, the ewe's tail, ect.....



Even pants and shoes...... =:)



No comments:

Post a Comment