Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Otrar Revisited

I pulled the painting of Otrar, (the akhal teke stallion from Turkmenistan) from out of the storage closet last week. I wasn't thrilled with the outcome when I put it away and out of sight in 2012. I couldn't quite put my finger on what I didn't like at the time, so I just stuffed him into a deep dark corner. When I un-earthed him last week the problems were very obvious and were staring me right straight in the face. (It is good to put things away and get a fresh eye on them later on after you've forgotten totally about them...) The issues were RIGHT THERE like a bad penny.

Background and Frame!

After re-painting the background of the picture into a cold tone of blue sky (instead of the old busy brown hills), I got a new frame that helped to accentuate the silver tack and black coat more. I am liking him much better now. It is interesting how some small changes will make all the difference in the world. This little 8x10 painting will now go into my "micro" gallery in the back room to hang on the wall, instead of hiding in the dark nook of the storage closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment