Monday, December 30, 2013

As promised, a few pictures of the nearly completed bathroom. It turned out pretty good, (for two non-pro's doing the job...)
A view from the hallway, through the door. The toilet is off to the right in the corner of the room, and the sink is off to the left in the opposite corner.

I'm sure that it is probably obvious that I love to do tile. I did mosaic tiles in our kitchen a few years ago, and I decided to do the bathroom with a bunch of tiling too. It's easy to clean up and fun to create patterns with. Craig was busy running the cutter while I arranged the wall and floor patterns and mortered them into place.
A view of the little "homemade" sink on the left side of the room, next to the shower. Last month I found this little pine dresser in a second hand store for $20 bucks. It was sort of a reddish color and needed stripped and repaired, so I did it. After a lot of sanding and repairing and re-staining it to a dark Kona color, it turned out pretty good. I added some french drawer pulls and some decorative appliques, a new white marble top (cut by a local guy), and we siliconed a copper wash basin into it. It has good drawer space to hold a lot of towels in it. =:)

Craig did all of the plumbing work in our bathroom, and the tiny little damned sink faucets were the hardest for him to be able to get the "kinks" worked out of. The old style bronze faucets that I picked out didn't want to co-operate very well at first, but after a bit of fiddling around with them we were able to get it to quit leaking and work well. (The tub and the shower were a piece of cake to plumb compared to the sink... go figure.)
A view of the can on the other side of the room. I still need to do the grouting on the floor tiles around the toilet and add covers to all of the electrical fixtures, but it is really small simple stuff to get finished up.

I'm thrilled that this project is almost completely done. It was fun, but a lot of work - and I don't want to plunge into another remodeling project in the middle of the holiday season again. Cooking, cleaning, shopping for x-mas presents, and then working on the remodeling on top of it, made for a little bit more hectic Christmas than what I had originally anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment