Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pega-Stroke, a.k.a. the "Gold-Winger"

Yes, today was the day for the Peggy guy's deadline. I got him there...... after five ulcers and two mini-strokes later, he's officially entered into the Regional Art exhibit at the center. My stress level officially rocketed off of the ricter scale today. I felt like I had just sent a kid off to pre-school this afternoon....

And low and behold, he's still not done yet. Ugh.

I've gotten a grand total of about 2 hours worth of sleep in the past two days. Trying to get this guy presentable enough to make a public appearance without being laughed out of the building was a real challenge. Time slips away so quickly. Last week I worked on him steadily for about 3 hours each night, and thought "he'll be done in time, no problem." Ha! What was I thinking....? As the deadline approached, I quickly realized just how much stuff still needed to be finished. Skin wrinkles, veining, little touches here and there. And the wings..... good god, the damned wings.....

That is the biggest part of what makes him still not quite done yet. I didn't have enough time to fashion the properly gigantic raptor sized wings for him, so I robbed a pair of Breyer classic sized wings off of a scuffed up old body, and reworked them slightly. They look fairly stupid on him because of the size, but they had to work because I was in a serious time-pinch. I attached the wings onto him half an hour before dropping him off at the center. (Yes, honestly.....the glue was still tacky when he arrived at the check in desk...) Gads.

There are also some areas on his body that need more sculpting and sanding to do when I get him back home from the exhibit. Still cringing over that. No golden bridle yet either. Didn't have time to make one; but he'll get one when he gets back home. And to top it off, there wasn't enough time to paint him in a realistic equine color either - so he's a statuesque shade of rattle can gold. This deems him officially as: the "Gold-Winger".

When I dropped him off at the center (5 minutes away from the closing of the deadline), the lady that took my information and entry thought he was really lovely. She thought he might have a chance at winning. But, my concerns about the areas on him that needed more work over-shadowed the nice comments. My eyeballs couldn't stop going over the areas that I wanted to fix, right then and there. Craig thought that the "Gold-Winger" looked good too, so I'm hoping that the general public will hopefully not be too critical of the areas that I'm still having a mental melt-down about....

Now all I'm praying for is a compassionate judge. I'm planning on attending the opening critique session at the center on Thursday night. I'm hoping this judging fellow is merciful and forgiving and possibly something of a version resembling "kindness" in nature. (Fingers crossed.) I'm taking my camera and will get some pictures of the golden flying wing-ding as well.....

Stay tuned for more details on the 14th. Pray for the winger.
-Shannon.

1 comment: