Friday, February 22, 2013

Opening Up a Can of Weirdness

Everybody needs a little bit of "weird" once in awhile.  It's good to throw some into the mix to keep us on the edge.  In the words of my literary hero Hunter S. Thompson - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro". 

I've recently joined an online fantasy equine club.  It's a small group of model horse people who love to create and collect weirdness.  I need this group.  After doing what seems like a billion real horse colors and meticulously concentrating solely on realism.... it was getting too easy to slip into a non-imaginitive slump.  Realistic colors were starting to get too boring and blend into one big clumpy blob.  A change was needed.

In between doing realistic paintjobs on models, I've started slipping a fantasy model into the mix here and there.  It keeps the creative juices flowing and is perfect for letting the imagination run hog wild.
 
This is "Bip", the first fantasy model that I've done since joining the club.  Bip is a Zorseicorn - (Zebra/Horse/Unicorn hybrid).  Made from the Breyer Maureen Love classic mustang foal.  Bip will go to his first online show this month.  Although I'm not too big into setting up scenes and photo environment backdrops for models... (I've tried it in the past and discovered that I royally suck at it)  it's still fun to take regular studio shots of weird fantasy models. 

There will be more future weirdness on the horizon.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, I really love the title of this post!

    I'm not especially drawn to non realistic horses, but I understand how a project like this can be totally rejuvenating to an artist. In fact, I think this is why I occasionally make pink and leopard skin bridles!

    :)

    ReplyDelete