Saturday, August 20, 2016

Humma Kavula

We have a resident female hummingbird that likes to hang out around our yard.  I love these tiny guys! 

I started noticing her buzzing around last year when I was outside gardening, so I purchased a hummer feeder at the local store and have been keeping it freshly stocked during the spring and summertime ever since.  This year a more brightly colored male also showed up, but I haven't gotten a chance to get a picture of him yet.  He likes to quickly buzz around and only stays for a few minutes before taking off like a little rocket.

And yes, I did name our little resident female hummer...  Her namesake is from a character on the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  It seems to fit her.   =:)

These photos were taken from our kitchen window before the afternoon sun hit the back porch.  For the sake of Humma's health, I like to mix my own nectar formula (minus any red food dye).  She seems to enjoy the simple mixture, so I guess I must be doing something right

I've noticed that during this time of year Humma gets fairly thirsty and she'll perch on the feeder and guzzle nectar for awhile.  The flowers are mostly done blooming and the weather is really hot, so she'll come and sit at the "mini-bar" for a refreshment.  I love watching her from the window as I drink my morning cup of coffee.
 
It's the smaller things in life that make it enjoyable.  =:)

No comments:

Post a Comment